Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Mother

Spencer Island Park is a cooperative between Snohomish County and the Department of Fish and Wildlife.  It is an outstanding park conveniently located close to Everett in the Snohomish River estuary.

My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.
~Mark Twain

While experts disagree slightly on the specifics, most academics in the field of early childhood development agree that the core of our personality is formed by the time we are five years old.  When my mom gets pissed at me for being the condescending asshole that I often am, I like to lovingly remind her that the formative years of my life were spent largely hanging out with her at home.  I am nothing more than the product of her parenting.

See what I mean about being a condescending asshole.

The truth is that all of what is kind, patient and empathetic in me came from my mother and I am forever thankful for her influence in my life.

That's how I roll,

Matt

I have said it before and I will say it again, the Interurban Trail is a truly a gem of the greater Seattle Metro area.  To the North, the Interurban connects Seattle to the suburban cities of Montlake Terrace, Lynwood and Everett  It seems every time I ride this trail north, it improves a little more.

When I planned the route for the day, I was really uneasy about crossing the Snohomish River on Highway 529.  I was pleasantly surprised with a protected walking path over the river.  

Looking East from the 529 Bridge over the Snohomish River.  Mount Pilchuck is he most dominant gray lump in the distance.



Big Red and Little Chris.

Jackknife Bridge spanned Ebey Slough on the Homeacres Road from 1914 until 1980; my Mother undoubtedly drove me across the bridge in my early childhood.  In 1993 it was floated over to Union Slough to provide pedestrian access to Spencer Island.

A fine looking couple.





No comments:

Post a Comment